Sunday, July 28, 2013

Law School Procrastination





I sit down on this Sunday evening to once again update my blog after almost a gap of more than a month. Its good to write as it gives one a medium to empty out the endless uncontrollable thoughts going in the mind. Although, its been a more than a forty eight hours break since I attended the last class on Friday as Saturdays and Sundays are off for us. But frankly speaking, it feels as if its just been forty minutes and not more than that. The reason being simple and precise. With the arrival of the weekend, I tend to get so overwhelmed and ambitious of completing all those tasks which I could not take up during the weekdays, which were supposed to be completed during the weekdays or which I deliberately postponed to thinking that I have those uncensored 48 hours in my hand at the end of the week. 

Unfortunately, I realize that I have ended up just exactly from where I started. The weekend journey which was supposed to be the length of a mile, just turned out to be another London Eye ride. The various small and big pending things lined up for the weekend included, reading a chapter or two for an upcoming class test on Thursday, hunting the sweeper to get my hostel room cleaned, buying the long pending stationery items and toiletries from the departmental store upstairs, completion of pending class notes and working on a high-priority research paper with an ensuing deadline. But for all these forty eight hours, I was only busy figuring out what all I needed to do instead of actually kicking the ass of my laziness and sluggish attitude by working out and completing every task on a step by step basis. Well yes, exactly, it was that simple. I just had to jot down on a piece of paper in the order of priority all the things mentioned above amongst others as well. 


The entire problem was just a result of self created vicious cycle. I ignored the Saturday morning 6 o' clock alarm thinking that this is perhaps the best time to love my bed all the more as the cool breeze was coming from the side window and there was no 8.30 class unlike the weekdays. I missed the special weekend breakfast due to the extra affection towards my bed. Finally, waking up at 2.30 in the afternoon made me realize that I was not feeling that fresh and energetic even though I had a exclusive sleep of more than 10 hours. Reality pinched and hit me really hard. The body had become used to the daily morning walk and workout, and the most deliciously rich meal of the day. Both the things could not happen today just because I procrastinated. Just as breakfasts are amazing on the weekends, lunches are equally bad and this meant I just needed to wait for the evening snacks time. I got back on my study table just to open back the book which I was scrolling (and not reading) till late night, Facebook. Both the adjacent neighbours, the Law of Taxation and Company Law sat as meek, silent and sad observers as they could do nothing but stare in shock. The staring looks did not make any difference to me and time passed away like anything, evening snacks time was finally there. On the other hand, the major part of the day had passed away without making any substantial progress whatsoever, this being penultimate year of law school. The heavy rain had prevented the washerman to come and collect clothes in the evening which were desperately required to be ready by Monday morning. Waking up early then would have made it possible to finish this task as he comes for a morning shift as well. All I had in hand as the progress for the day, was a lot of despair and degarded motivational levels. There was not any progress, be it professional or personal. These are just few of the many examples of what all happened on Saturday. 

The Sunday story was almost the same as well. After all, it is from all these petty experiences of the spoiled weekend that this post derives its inspirations. No offences, but this is not just my but many others' story for all the weekends in law school for last three years. Working and going about things by forming a to-do-list in a structured manner would certainly have been better. That would have led to at least some extent of self satisfaction and work satisfaction if not cent percent satisfaction. The situation right now is worse and nowhere matches to the ideals, goals and ambitions decided forty eight hours earlier. Last but not the least, I feel that the only fruitful thing which I have done over this weekend is writing this blog post. Let this be an inspiration to each one of us and most importantly to myself, to make the most out of the time and opportunities we get in college. Some very renowned had once said,  "If someone gave me the choice to go back in time, I will surely choose college."

To conclude, let not the fear and anxiety of doing and managing too many things at the same time, be the trigger to make our lives haphazard in nature. Rather, it should be the inspiration to trigger our lives daily. After all, the pain of discipline is far less than the pain of disappointment.




















"The more you sweat in peace, the less you sweat in war"

"Life us very small and to live it fully there is just one word and that is love
Love in every aspect

Love as in loving the path you have taken

Loving each second of ur life..
Loving each dream so dearly that fulfilling it is the only choice
And the most important part is loving yourself.. "

"Don't think too much. Just act."

"Blessed is the man who is too busy to worry by day, and too sleepy to worry at night"

"Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere."

"Once you decide on your occupation... you must immerse yourself in your work. You have to fall in love with your work. Never complain about your job. You must dedicate your life to mastering your skill. That's the secret of success... and is the key to being regarded honorably."

Wish you all a Happy Sunday night, a Sound Sunday Sleep and a Fresh Monday Morning. The author can be reached here, here. Certain more inspiration stuff is available here, here, here, here, and here.




No comments:

Post a Comment